Wednesday, January 6, 2016

RIP Old Man - See Ya, Buddeee! #pezoutlaw #hollywood @pezoutlaw


The Old Mans Eulogy
R.I.P.
1980-2017
37yrs.

The Old Man passed yesterday.
With his passing I felt my own mortality.

I never knew the Old Man except when he was older.
I believe he spent his last decade with us.

The reason Kathy took him in when he was no longer ride-able is that she'd seen to many sad stories of good horses tossed aside after there useful life ends.
The Old Man was given his Gold Watch n a good decade of ease.

The goofy bugger knew he didn't have to do another thing, except what he wanted to.
Every day at 5pm he'd start bugging me to let him into his stall for his grandpa food.
(2 scoops of senior n 1 scoop of strategy.) 

The old man walked his own path, no longer involving himself in the foolishness of the young horses.
Funny thing is I find myself emulating that very same choice.

None of the other horses messed with me as much as the Old Man.
The guy talked my ear off, n was a hay flinger (he'd grab a flake of hay from the bucket of the tractor n just toss it, making me have to go pick it up).

The Old Man also looked for every opportunity to sneak out the gate for yard grass.
Hay flinging or escaping I never got pissed, it was always for C.... Sakes Old Man or just simply "Dude Really".

The Old Man raised many children in his 37yrs, I was always hearing stories. 
I rode him when I was 3.
He lived down the road when I was a child.

One of his children Alex, came back to him in his last year n groomed him n walked him.
Alex spent his final moments with him.

It's tearing my heart to write this.
When our friends pass it reminds us.

The Old Man was my friend n I will miss him.
R.I.P. Khan.

I laid him to rest yesterday, now we pick his tree.

Farm Update.
10ee (horse) grabbed The Old Mans Gold Watch before it even hit the ground.
It's a good gig n he's no fool.



For more see
Carpe Diem, Judas #pezoutlaw #hollywood
The Way Home #pezoutlaw #hollywood #NFTA
On Behalf of Ground Pounders #horse #pezoutlaw #ho... 
Walking Quietly With Horse's #pezoutlaw #hollywood... 
Free Horses n Dogs #pezoutlaw #hollywood @pezoutla... 
Talking to Animals #pezoutlaw #hollywood @pezoutla... 

My dream is was that dk made the Pez Outlaw movie n jeff maysh ghost wrote the book so we could operate as an animal rescue n not go bankrupt doin it.
We're gonna keep doin what we  can, just woulda been nice to break even.
ea horse $2.00 worth hay per day, 18 horses x 365 = $13,140.00 per yr for just hay.
The movie n book woulda been nice.
It's a sin in life if you don't do something about a thing once you are aware of it.

Oh yeah n another "FREE" (meaning nobody else will take him) horse is on his way to the farm as we speak.
  *********************************************

Since we began here at Notes From The Asylum I've had occasion to write a few posts about Dogs n Horses.
From that information you most likely know that we have 18 horses n 4.25 dogs living on the farm at the moment.
Puddy/Tootsie baby Dachshund is the .25, she's very small.
I suppose by that math Tricksie should be counted as .33 of a horse.

Anyway, the point being lots of animals live here n everything depends on relationships.
Knowing the animals or better yet understanding them.
I've told you that I'm a ground pounder, meaning I no longer ride, not for 25 years.
My job is to take care of the horses, Feed them, Water them, clean up there poo.
I also maintain there fences, feeders n living quarters.

I do not train horses, but for the work that I do for them of which they are keenly aware.
I expect consideration, if in a situation that could go either way, I expect that the horses give that little bit to me out of appreciation.
To be honest if as horse does not, they are gone.
I'm happy to say that we have a very good group of horses here now, all the problem children are gone.

Here's the thing.
My babies see me working for things they want, a safe world to live in, food n water.
If a horse can't give me that little tilt that turns a potential disaster into a win for us both.
That's a horse I do not want to have around.
A horse that will not show a very small bit of consideration for my labor is a fool.

In the last few years I've come to recognize a very general form of communication from horses.
How they hold there head, ear position, how they shape there eyes, other micro expressions n body language.
No one thing but more an overall.
When combined with a situation you understand what a horse is saying.

Johnny being loaded to leave to a new potential home.
Very big soft eyes looking directly at me, resigned body language.
Johnny was asking to stay.
I told them immediately if it does not work out, bring him back, a week later Johnny returned.
Johnny struck the bargain, I will be a good horse n be friendly n considerate for your work.
Done deal John, you're home.

Red the horse. Red, Red, Red, Redneck.
Red bunged himself up good at his new home with someone we know.
It was not a good fit.
Red was sent here so his eye n leg could heal, she did not, not want him back.
Kathy said has he asked you yet.
Honey, that's all he's doing is asking, over n over n over.
Red struck the bargain, he said I see n appreciate what you do for me, I will be a good horse n be friendly n considerate.

Two Boys came to us a few years back Cowboy n Dub.
Both horses struck the deal happily, Boy n Dub had been #14 n #15 on a 15 horse pileup for food that was running low n out.
Good groceries n a few years n oh my gosh what beautiful boys they are.

Billy dog asked me if she was finally home when was still in the car that brought her here.
Yes Billy your home now.

Many of the horses that show up here have needs.
They need to heal, either from a physical injury or mental issues.
That care is a golden moment to find the inner horse, the good ones get it n a line of communication is opened during there recovery.
That intimate time of healing is where the bond n relationship can be formed.
Ole Roz took 3 years with a mental issue, but now she is my sweet baby.
I found by respecting Roz's boundary issues that she in turn gave me respect for recognizing her needs.
The other day Roz put her head in the doorway gently next to my shoulder.
Trust is a very big thing, my movement n behavior could be trusted.

I've noticed something else with a type of horse I like beyond a horse that is willing to strike a mutual bargain.
There are horses that have child like innocence, a purity of n open souls.
You can tell by the way they carry themselves n by what they think is fun.
Some horses are playful open n honest.
Cowboy will just follow Kathy around, he genuinely likes her.
Cowboy, Red n Jimmy are the best examples of this.
Damage a horse like this n you will go to hell.

Then you got the Old Man 36 = 108 in human years.
The Old Man is the biggest chatterbox on the farm, that guy has somethin to say about most everything.
Remind you of anybody.

I expect when crazy is happening that my dogs n horses behave.
Which brings us to the topic of today.
The neighbors 3 horses got out 3 times yesterday.
The first time I only heard about. 
The 4pm one I had to catch them. 
The 8pm one I had to catch them.

4pm. saw neighbors 3 horses just gettin it down the road toward my place while watering. 
put the hose down n started calling, come on babies I got ya.
With horses you want create a situation where the horse has 2 choices n one of them is one that they kinda want anyway, then move them toward the good choice.
Tried grain, you make noise in a bucket n most horses are like Pavlov's Dog to the sound.
No Go.
OK, got 2 flakes second cutting laid it in driveway midway up n worked my way behind them.
Lots of foolin round 10 minutes later got my hands on who by then saw was there leader.
Headed towards new barn/arena yellin Susan's name.
Got barn open took the big guy to stall #6.
Oh crap forgot to close barn door, other 2 headed back out.
10 minutes later recaptured them, closed the door this time.
Gave them each 2 flakes 1st cutting, best cause don't know what they're used to n a fresh bucket of water.
My part done, Susan drove down to tell the guy we had his horses.

Guy had been in yard cuttin wood, Horses just ran behind him sayin see ya.

Guy gets here, told him we're good.
Just did what Kathy would've expected.
I'll get my atta boy from her when she gets home.
Problem woulda been if I'd done less, then in Kathy's eyes I would have been found wanting.
So I'm good, just went from done early to done late, I'll get over it.

8pm.
Car pulls in, dogs go nuts, very nice lady at the door.
Hey steve, just almost hit 3 horses in the road, they yours.
Nope, guy down the roads.
I'm tired, remember I'm almost 65, see how smooth I play that card.
The problem is I actually have no choice, you see each night by 7pmish I tuck all my horses in for the night, one by one.
So all was good at 7:15pm, but horse running by can ryle everybody up so at the very least I gotta go out n retuck them all in.
I get out doin that n I see west of me cars in the road stopped headlights on horses in the road.
Well shit, somebody or an animal is just gonna get hurt.
Down the road I go talking to the horses, Hey Babies I got ya.
This time Big Boy comes right to me so a parade of me horses n cars starts down the dirt road in the dark lit by headlights.
A car comes from the other direction, it's a Nichols one of Lyle's boys.
Hey could you do me a favor, drive down n tell him I got his horse's, you know, again.
Good kid actual man, he did.
guy shows up midway between our houses, a bit of a walk for me.
Hey buddy long time no see.
Well least since about 6pm.
Hey Buddy you got stalls down there. 
He says yah maybe I better put them in them.
Me, yah maybe a good idea.
See yah.

Thing is, horse's some say aren't real bright but if they figure something out they are gonna keep doin it.
Cowboy is sure as shit that if he walks slow enough he can walk through a fence n he's been almost right a few times..
Me I turn the fencer on n he gets a poke n thinks better of the idea.
My horses though if they get out stay pretty much here.
Why, because they like it here n there friends are here.
Plus we all made the deal.
I work for them n they give me the benefit of the doubt in tricky situations.
Otherwise they are gone.

There are to many animals here for us to not cooperate, so everything runs smooth.
Foolish animals create chaos n I personally have no time n can't afford ignorant animals.
I make an effort n expect the same.

I care deeply for all of my animals but I expect that they listen when I ask them for a favor.

Out of nowhere n totally unrelated.
One of the best TV lines I've heard in a long time.
On Better Call Saul.
From Chuck to his brother Jimmy.
Giving a law degree from the University of Samoa to Slippin Jimmy is like giving a monkey a machine gun.
Soul Crushingly good dialog.

                           


Cowboy/Boy/Smokey


Short Horse Story

Roz n her 2 horse compadres got loose today.
Better than it sounds.
I had a choice when the first horse charged the gate, close the gate n god knows where that one ends up or run fast as I can n close the arena door. 
I chose option B, meaning all 3 got out but damage limited to inside the arena.

As Sloan would say, the neighbors learned some new curse words.
Then the coolest thing happened, after calling Roz a few times, she led the other 2 back into there pasture.
That a horse comes when you call it is pretty good on it's own, add to that 3 years ago I couldn't get within 10 ft of Roz because it scared her to much.
Oh yeah n Roz let me pet her head in front of her moms yesterday.

So you know, crisis averted.

News alert.
Billy Dog ran for her life.
3 horses charging at you is more than her internship as a horse dog could take.
We'll get'm next time Billy.
I'm not sure it wasn't the better part of valor in the situation.  

The rest of the story.

A while back Billy Dog got kicked in the side by a horse, it left a 2 inch hole.
Ripped her hide good.
So I think you can understand why Billy Dog is not real keen to take on 3 fast moving horses.

Here's the part that will surprise you.
Billy Dog wants with all her heart to be a herd manager.
Things stay where there supposed to n go where there supposed to.

That kick in Billies side gave her wisdom.


After Pez Outlaw, I intend to retire.
new profile pic captures my essence





Pez Outlaw Diary


No comments:

Post a Comment